Friday, June 28, 2013

Growing old together

A waltz with the government officials: That was what my day's schedule was screaming out loud at me.

I was apprehensive. But helpless as I was, I geared up to do the unavoidable.

I was given a token and was asked to await my turn. 

In the packed to the corner room full of people awaiting their turn I found myself a seat after searching for a while.

I sat besides a very dignified looking old couple. 

I was most apologetic to disturb them as I made my way to the vacant seat but they smiled most kindly at me.

Much to my distress they were quite amused at my clumsiness.

The old lady asked me, if this was my first time. An affirmative. I told her this was my first indeed. She said theirs is a fourth time renewal. I was quite intrigued.

They are veterans, eh! Not just of life but of so much more than that: handling government officials!

Respect.

The lady continued to talk to me, in impeccable English, though she too is a Bengali.

She asked me about myself, my qualification, if I have ever been abroad.

She told me about herself, her children's over accomplishment, followed by those of her grandchildren's! 

Quite frankly, I did not care about her family.

I was by far most humbled by her own self to really care about anything beyond her and her husband.

Such a dignified old couple.

In this sea of people they knew they were not alone. 

The old spouse.

They were sometimes talking to each other, helping each other with dialing a number on a fairly updated cell-phone.

The muted undertone of love, quiet understanding, and faith that was radiating from them was almost tangible.

I, with my shaken belief in all things related to the heart, sat there in amazement. 

Gazing at them I could feel something in me rejuvenating. Quietly being fortified.

I realised I was being far too dreamy to really pay attention to what the kind lady was telling me.

It turned out that in a span of barely 15 minutes she was sharing with me where in the world she has been to.

England, the USA, most parts of Europe, you name it.

What struck me though was something very unusual that came from her.

"There's one place I really want to go to," she said with a bright twinkle in her bespectacled eyes.

 "Israel."

"I have never been to Israel and now that I am so old, I might not live to go see Israel".

I told her that she is still strong, and has warm desire in her heart, she can surely try and give it a shot.

She smiled back warmly at me. Knowingly.

Then came the man who was accompanying them, to do their paper-work.

It was their turn. 

The old couple helped each other get up and they slowly walked down the aisle to the array of counters.

The warm smile they passed at me before leaving, I shall never forget.

It was a smile of hope.

Of selfless love and good wishes.

I know I shall never see them again. But their smiling, loving faces will forever remain with me.

As a reminder of all that is good in this world.

Yes, despite what most people tell me everyday, I know my faith in selfless love and inherent goodness of human being stands reinstated.

Lesson learnt: Growing old together is probably the best thing on this planet





Also I learnt, a trip to a government office is not always a bad thing!

2 comments: